My kinda rock

My kinda rock
Why not try? Doesn't hurt.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

MUN and Japan

I've missed another update and I'm going to count this as tomorrow's post so that means I owe another €2 to charity. Japan would probably seem to be the most obvious place to donate the money to. As I posted before I was away at an MUN conference for the weekend. It was really strange leaving Ireland with everything being fine. However when we arrived at the hotel sky news informed us of the Japanese earthquake. It was shocking the rate at which things changed after that. At first the death tole was 34 from the earthquake and around 100 reported missing after the tsunami first hit. The main footage they showed was of the oil refinery fire.

The next morning before heading out the were going to release the nuclear steam. We were in the taxi for about 10 minutes and when we arrived at the school we were greeted by the news of the first explosion at the plant. The news kept unfolding as such.

It's horrifying to think what is happening to all those families. I know someone who lives in Japan. I haven't talked to her in 6 years but for some reason that doesn't make me worry any less. Her name is Ana and I went to school with her when I lived in England. She moved back over to Japan just before I moved back over here. I will worry about all the families and everyone who has lost someone. I should be thankful that it's not my family but for some reason I'm not. Just because I didn't lose a brother, a mother, a sister, a father, a friend, doesn't mean that someone out there isn't hurting. I know it's inevitable that we all die but I still grieve for those who have gone.

I know it's strange that I'm this shocked and upset over something that doesn't effect me personally but, to be honest, I've always been like this. I can't make it all better, which is slightly disappointing. What I can do is raise all the money I can to help the people in Japan. In Ireland we are lucky to be in one of the safest places for earthquakes. We don't have to worry. This doesn't take away from the fact that there are people out there suffering just because of plates moving, something we can't control.

I have so much more I'd like to tell you after the ever eye opening experience of MUN but now is not the time and this post grows so very long. I'll leave this post alone now.

The Straight Talker

No comments:

Post a Comment